«

»

May 23

Day 3 – Ups and Downs

Day three has had its ups and downs. However, even though the rainy weather was against us, we still got to do just about everything we set out to do. We began our day at an art gallery where you could purchase a variety of merchandise. Nobody really purchased anything because it was so expensive, but it was really awesome to see all of the styles of arts that are produced in this area. The highlight of the day was going to Mount Mitchell, which has the highest elevation point that we will reach on this trip. Sadly, the clouds didn’t let us experience what I’m sure was an amazing view. We then hiked a fur/spruce trail that was just awesome. It really felt as if we were deep in a forest. After the hike, the professors treated us to hot chocolate and let us explore the Mt. Mitchell gift shop. After Mt. Mitchell, we drove back down the mountain, which made me very car sick; but I shook it off when we stopped at a random pond on the side of the road. I didn’t see the significance of the random ditch of a pond until Dr. Carpenter told us to really look at it. I have never seen so many tadpoles in my life! There were thousands of them. By simply dragging the net through the water, we would capture at least twenty or more tadpoles. I don’t know why, but I had the biggest urge to hold the tadpoles, and I certainly grabbed two handfuls of them. It was satisfying to say the least. I’m looking forward to day four. I’m sure its going to be an awesome time!

Ericka Skinner