«

»

Apr 13

Just for Kicks

Most people that I have met say they have never heard of TOMS, until they came down south.  I’m not sure why that is, because TOMS are the most comfortable, everyday shoe; not to mention they serve a good cause.  For every pair of TOMS sold, the company donates a pair to a child in need.  Honestly, that is what started my love for TOMS almost a year ago.  It all started with my first pair of black glitters, then on to olive cordones, burlap classics, red cordones, and finally my Barton College Bulldog TOMS, which I hand painted and designed, totaling five pair.

What inspired me to make my new addition to my TOMS honestly was the upcoming orientation event “SROW” – the Southern Regional Orientation Workshop.  I’m an Orientation Leader here at Barton, and the thought popped into my head to dec out an all white pair of TOMS with splatter paint, and show off my BC spirit at SROW.  On the way home, I stopped and picked up the white TOMS, some black and blue glitter paint, and with the stitched BC logos that I had on hand, I went to town.   The total cost of the project was about 50.00; not bad for a college girl who doesn’t have a lot of money.  The story gets to be funny when my grandmother asked to help with the project.  She helped me to glue the logos on the sides and tops of the shoes.  I then sat in our living room, white carpet and all, and splattered till I just couldn’t splatter anymore.  It took about 45 min all together, and about an hour to dry.

I snapped pictures to put on the TOMS website, and received over 40 likes on Facebook.  They were a hit a SROW as well as on campus.  The new pair of TOMS fit right in to my TOMS family, and did their job of providing a pair of shoes to a child in need.  So now anytime I need to show a little Bulldog pride, I know just what to wear.

Recently, Barton College’s Campus Compassion held “One Day Without Shoes,” which is a TOMS event that helps to bring light to the millions of children who dangerously go without shoes everyday.  It was such a cool way for BC students to participate and gain knowledge about such global issues. Check out the “One Day Without Shoes” website at http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com/.

Oh, and be sure to check out my TOMS at Orientation. I can’t wait to meet you, Class of 2016!!!