«

»

Oct 27

Off to a Running Start!

Off to a running start now – since college has begun, classes are in full swing! It’s been a great journey so far. I love being a Bulldog! It’s the best part. But, as they say, a person always changes when they enter college, and that statement pertains to me right now. Changes such as becoming more independent, making healthy choices for meals, exercising daily, learning time management skills, devoting more time to studies, volunteering, and holding leadership positions, etc.

I have noticed that there are a lot of differences between college and high school.  In high school, the teachers were more lenient, giving extra credit, having an open-book quiz, etc.  But in college, professors are very particular; each assignment requires a lot of critical thinking and a lot of  hard work. Right now we are in the middle of the semester.  Things are building up, more tests and quizzes, more things to do on the list as exams loom in front of us.

High school always seemed to be going slow and steady for me. But now that I am in college, it seems like I am running out of time. One thing that I learned from my college experience so far is that it teaches a lot of “time management skills.”  I feel like having those skills is really important as you go further in your education/major.  In high school, we were often allowed to turn in assignments late.  At Barton professors allow you to turn in things late, but there is usually a high penalty for that – for example, a 10 pt. deduction from your grade.  You have to be on top of things in college, or else you will fall behind. Make sure that you divide your time up wisely between classes, studying, volunteering, participating in clubs, sports, etc.

I would say that Barton College has given me every single opportunity that I have been looking for since high school.  It’s a small school where the professors know you by name, and that to me is a plus point.  College is different from high school in a lot of ways, and it teaches a student to be more independent rather than depending on parents