«

»

May 03

Stop Hunger Now

Last week Barton hosted a Stop Hunger Now packaging event in Wilson Gym. I have participated with Stop Hunger Now three times before, and every single time I’ve been assigned the same exact job.  Don’t ask me how, but it just works out that way.  So, now I’m a professional at weighing each bag as it comes to me.

There is one table with four people who fill each bag, then some one brings it to my table where I make sure it’s not too light or heavy.  Then I pass it across the table where someone is waiting to seal the bag, and a runner comes and gives each bag to the boxers, who box the meals up and put them on a truck.

So, obviously there are people running around all over the place, carrying boxes of food and trying not to spill anything.  This kind of environment, especially when run by college students, can get pretty hectic.  But, we pulled it off, and by the end of the day, we had packaged 40,000 meals.

Not only is this a wonderful event by itself because we are helping to send meals to parts of the world that don’t always have food, but it is also a great way to meet other people at Barton.  I know it sounds crazy because Barton is small, but there are actually some people at this school that I have never met before.  So, this gave me a chance to work alongside and get to know some of my classmates while also helping others.  Overall, this was a fun and exciting experience, and I can’t wait for the opportunity to help out again next year.