«

»

Apr 11

You Think You Know…But You Have NO Idea!

So, you read the title of this blog and I’m sure you’re thinking “What does she mean ‘I have no idea’?” Well, I am here to tell you that you have no idea how much fun it is to work with admissions counselors!

This past week I went to a reception in Raleigh with Kyle and Johnston, two of Barton’s admissions counselors. We got to Triangle Town Center around 5 p.m. and walked around for a few minutes; then we had to go set up for the reception. The reception was held at Champps, a restaurant over by the mall. We had an entire section to for ourselves and the prospective students that are interested in Barton College.

At first when I told Angela, our campus guest coordinator, that I was willing to work the reception, I was a little apprehensive because I had never been to one and didn’t really know what to expect. But, after thinking about it for a while, I remembered that I am an Orientation Leader and give tours on campus; so I have to think on my feet ALL the time. And, on top of that, I LOVE meeting new people and getting to know what they like; so this should be easy as pie!

So, once we were all set up and waiting for prospective Bulldogs, I got the chance to interact with Kyle, Johnston, and Tiphanie. As I said, Kyle and Johnston are admissions counselors, but Tiphanie works in the financial aid office. They are so much fun and always have a story of some kind to share that is guaranteed to make you laugh. I am pretty sure people were looking at me funny  because I was laughing so hard at one point; but, hey, I like to laugh! Anyway, we had a game plan so each of us could rotate and talk to each student to try to get to know a little more about them, and I think we did a pretty good job!

If any of you ever have the opportunity to go to a Barton College admissions reception, I highly encourage it because it is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to talk to the admissions counselors and ask enrollment questions, you also get your questions answered regarding financial aid. And, then, there’s ME! I was there to give the student perspective on Barton. Sometimes it is a lot easier to talk to someone your own age rather than an admissions counselor.

The admissions reception is a really relaxed dinner, and Kyle always makes it mandatory that you get dessert! So, if you get an invitation to one of the receptions, be sure to join us. Just think about how much fun you could have getting to know new people and enjoying a great meal along with it!

Have a good day!

Always,

Candice :)