«

»

Apr 27

Some Great Summertime Reads!

Hey, y’all!!

So, I have had an extremely busy week, and I haven’t had the opportunity to write in while… but here I am. So, that has to count for something, right?

One of my favorite things to do during the summer is to grab a few books and sit on the beach and just read my life away. I love a good mystery, romance, or any type of book really, but those are definitely my top two favorites! Some might give the excuse that they cannot find a good book to read; well, then you’ve come to the right place  because I have at least a hundred book recommendations for you this summer!

Well, to start off, I have a few authors that I am very fond of. These great authors include Jodi Picoult, Jude Deveraux, Dan Brown, Nicholas Sparks, and Patricia Cornwell, just to name a few.

Jodi Picoult has been the latest author that I have been obsessed with. I go through these phases where I try and read all of the author’s books, and I think I have made a pretty good dent on Jodi Picoult’s. Jodi has 18 novels and I think – if I counted correctly – that I have read 10 of them. She just had a new one come out in the beginning of March that I am really excited to read. Jodi writes mostly about ethical and social issues, but she puts them into real-life scenarios. Each chapter is usually presented through the eyes of a different character; so, not only do you get an amazing story, you also get the story from several different angles.

The most recent Jodi Picoult book I read was The Tenth Circle, and right before that I read Nineteen Minutes. Both of these books are great reads, and I would recommend them for anyone, but more so for females!

The first book is about a family whose daughter at the age of 15 is raped and how the family deals with it. Her father is a comic book artist, and he actually deals with the situation by making a comic book out of it. Some say there are nine levels of hell. Well, her father says there is a tenth level of hell where someone  you love is hurt but there is absolutely nothing you can do to help heal them. While all of this is taking place, so much more drama and action are going on at times it is hard to keep your head around it all. My sister did not like this book that much, but in my opinion it’s one of the best books I have read by Jodi Picoult.

The other recent Jodi Picoult book that I read, Nineteen Minutes, is about a school shooting in a small town. The entire time I was reading this book I was thinking, “The shooter is a horrible person; he holds no value for a person’s life.” Well, by the end of the book, I had completely changed my mind. Jodi Picoult made a statement in the book something along the lines of “No matter what he did or who he hurt, he was hurting longer; and he is still a human, and someone still loves him just as much, if not more than the people loved the ones who picked on him his whole life.”  I hadn’t even thought about it from that point of view. Everyone was looking at the shooter as a monster, but really and truly he was just a scared teenager who felt he had no alternative but monstrous actions.

I’ll talk about my next author next time!

Always,

Candice :)