«

»

Apr 07

My Favorite Professor!

Writing on my overall favorite professor is a little harder than I thought it was going to be, so I decided to write on my favorite professor for this semester. Maybe later on I will write about my favorite professor for the entire time I have been at Barton. So, to get on it with it, my favorite professor this semester is … (drum roll) … Dr. Broadwater! He is my history professor for “United States History to 1877.” If you have read any of my previous blogs, you’ll know that this is also my favorite class of the semester. I guess it makes sense that Dr. Broadwater is my favorite professor.

I am an organization freak. Lets just say, if it’s not in my planner, it will NOT get done! Before I can even study for classes or do any homework my room has to be clean because it will bother me if it’s not! But what does this have to do with Dr. Broadwater? Well, I’m going to tell you!

Before class starts each day Dr. Broadwater writes several terms on the board that we will be talking about throughout his lecture. The best thing is that they are in the same order that he is going to talk about them! He plans his lectures perfectly so they just flow through each term on the board, and he provides enough information for each term so that they can be used as identifications on the test.

Every so often he will stop his lecture and review and ask for questions. Suppose, for example, that you didn’t get the complete definition for the American System. All you have to do is ask, and he gives you the major points of it and why it was important.

Not only does Dr. Broadwater lecture, but we also watch short films to help us understand the material. He will lecture for the first part of the class; then we will watch a short 15- or 20-minute video that we usually have to answer 5 to 10 questions about. Multiple-choice questions on his tests come from the questions we have to answer about the videos.

The other thing he does to help us learn is to give reading quizzes. Dr. Broadwater doesn’t lecture straight out of the book – which I love because I can read on my own! So, we have specific pages we have to read for each class, and he gives pop quizzes that focus on the main ideas and important facts throughout the reading.

I love going to his class, and that is really funny because in high school I hated history with a passion! Now, it is my favorite class this semester, and my professor is one of my favorites at Barton College!

Always,

Candice :)