«

»

Apr 07

Mass Communications

I’m a mass communications major with a concentration in journalism and public relations, and I have to say that I LOVE IT! One of my favorite things to do is to write, so that makes journalism and public relations the perfect major for me. The mass communications department at Barton is smaller than some of the others, but don’t let the size fool you – we offer a wide range of choices.

Within the mass communications department, there are four different concentrations: journalism, audio, public relations, and broadcasting. When I first came to Barton, I only wanted to major in journalism; but my advisor, Mr. Stewart, along with some of my classmates told me that it is easy to major with an extra concentration. So, I did just that! The classes are smaller in size which allows me to get to know all of my classmates as well as my professors. That is a major plus for me!

Recently, some of my friends (also mass communications majors) and I started the Mass Communications Club. It is a student organization that is open to all Barton students, and we basically help provide opportunities and information for those looking to possibly work within the mass communications field. We plan to have guest speakers, take trips to different conferences, tour the Wilson Times, and much more. It’s a good way to get to know other mass communications majors as well as receive valuable information.

For those who are undecided about a major, I would say, “Choose mass communications!”