«

»

Apr 27

Barton Is The Place for ME!!

Did I ever think I would end up going to college here at Barton?

No.

Am I glad that I decided to come here?

More than you will ever realize!

When I was college hunting my junior and senior year of high school, I had no idea where I wanted to go; but I knew I wanted to major in criminal justice. So, I had to find a college with that major. I had applied to a few other schools and had gotten accepted into all of them. So, why Barton?

See, the thing is that I come from a really small town in northeastern North Carolina. My entire county has less than 10,000 people, and we have more farm land than roads, buildings, and houses put together probably. Like I said, small town. Well, all of the other colleges I had been accepted into just took it for granted that I may be putting a deposit in any day just because of their “reputation.” Barton, on the other hand, actually cared about where I chose to go to college and helped me every step of the way. My admissions counselor called me at least every week checking on me and seeing how the rest of my high school career was going. I felt like I was already at home at Barton, whereas the other colleges might send a mass email to me and 300 other people once a month. I loved that Barton was more of a community and had a family feel because that is what I am used to.

In my small town, everyone knows everyone. You  go to school with the same people from kindergarten until you graduate high school, and you have best friends that you’ve known since you were 2. My admissions counselor knew I was playing softball and would send me good luck emails; and, whenever we talked on the phone, he always asked how my games were going that week. I had more contact with him in a three-week time period than I had with all the other colleges combined.

I honestly can’t remember when I definitely decided Barton was the college for me. It wasn’t like I had an epiphany or a lightbulb appear over my head. I think it was more of a slow progression. A few days before my parents were going  to send in my deposit to another university, my mom asked me one more time, “Are you sure you want to go here?” Well, the fact that I hesitated to answer, I think, told my mom that my heart was no longer set on that university. After talking with my parents and my sister – who also happens to be my best friend – I realized all along that I had wanted to go to Barton because it was like being at home.

Now that I am here and have been for three years, I have loved every second of it. I know if I had gone to a different university or college, I would have transferred back home and gone to college some where close to home. Instead, I look forward to getting back to Wilson after breaks and seeing my Delta Zeta sisters and my friends.

As anyone else will tell you, follow your heart when making decisions.

Always,

Candice :)