«

»

Mar 03

Moe’s Fundraiser!

So, last night was the first time EVER that I have eaten at Moe’s Southwest Grill. You don’t understand – I despise Mexican food. All Mexican food. Tacos, burritos, and whatever other “itos” you can come up with. Last night, though, the SGA (Student Government Association) was holding a fundraiser there, so I figured I could suck it up for one night and go help raise money for Stop Hunger Now. We as a school raise money each year and put together meals to send to people who are suffering from hunger.

So, last night SGA was raising money to buy the supplies for the the meals we package. One of my friends and I went; this was only her second time at Moe’s and obviously my first. We walk in the door. Apparently they yell “Welcome to Moe’s!” to everyone that walks into the restaurant. I look at Autumn; and I was, like, “Um, I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.”  Stupid, I know, but hear me out:

1. I hate Mexican food (even if it’s only Mexican-ish).
  2. I walk in the door, and they’re yelling at me.
  3. I have been sick for, like, three days, so I really didn’t want someone yelling at me.
  4. I had NO EARTHLY IDEA as to what to order or how to order.

This place is like a Subway for all those “itos” I talked about earlier. So, the guy asks me, “What can I get you?” My response: “I have no idea.” Autumn and I let a good eight people go in front of us because we just stood there and looked at the menu. Apparently you order a base item, and then you can add whatever you want to it – thanks for telling me that ahead of time. Anyway, I order a Funkmeister, or something along those lines, with ground beef, cheese, and some pico de gallo. I sucked it up and ate it. It was pretty good, but I don’t really think I will be craving Moe’s. It’s just not my cup of tea; I’m just not a fan of Mexican food. On the bright side, though, I did like their cheese dip for the chips! I could definitely eat that again! So, we ordered and put our receipt in the jar so that 20% of the proceeds made between 5 pm and 9 pm last night will go to the SGA to help pay for the meals we will be making soon!

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fqXMQpccvk

When we actually make the meals for Stop Hunger Now, it is an amazing thing to see. (Check out the video if you don’t want to take my word for it!) We set up in the gym, and it’s like an assembly line, and we just make meal after meal after meal! It is amazing to see so many people on our campus come together for a great cause. When we say Barton College is a community, we really mean it. And, when we package those meals, we’re doing something great for charity and also making great memories!

Always,

Candice :)