«

»

Mar 04

Favorite Office on Campus

My topic for today is my favorite office on campus, and this is really hard for me because I like every building/office I have been in for different reasons. My top two favorite offices have to be Admissions and Dan Kennedy’s office. So, to start off, I’m going to tell you why one of my favorites is the Admissions Office.

First off, I work in Admissions, so I am around those crazy-fun admissions counselors a lot! Going in there, I remember every single reason why I came to Barton in the first place. Everyone knows you on a first name basis. I feel like they are my family, and I have had so many great opportunities with them that I will always appreciate what they have done for me. Every admissions counselor makes it fun to work in Admissions and even more fun to promote our school in a positive manner. Not only do I get to work with them as an Ambassador for our campus, I also get to work with them every Tuesday night as an Orientation Leader.

For Orientation we have to work 2 hours per week in Admissions so we get familiar with the Admissions process, which is a great idea! It can be a really smooth transition for an incoming new student because they already know some familiar faces since they have probably seen some Orientation Leaders in the Admissions Office, and then they get to see us again during Orientation.

Some days when I don’t have to work, I just stop by and say “hey” to everyone because I haven’t seen them in a day or two! If I ever need to feel at home, I can walk literally 100 feet away and go into Angela’s office, and she will give me a hug! She is an amazing boss, and I would never ask for another one!

My second favorite office is located on the first floor of Hardy Alumni Hall. This would be Dan Kennedy’s Office. This is really sad because he will be leaving soon, and I am going to miss him terribly. Dan is in charge of Greek Life, Intramural Sports, and Orientation. I was a part of a Greek organization before I was an Orientation Leader, but since I have become an Orientation Leader, I have had the privilege of working closely with Dan; and I am extremely grateful for this.  Dan has helped me mature and given me opportunities on campus that I would not have gotten if it were not for him believing in me and my abilities. I don’t think I will ever be able to thank him enough for that either.

My best advice for you to be able to have relationships like these would be to get involved on campus. Don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and your little box. In the real world you’re going to have to do that anyway, so why not get some practice in college?

Always,

Candice :)