«

»

Feb 13

Working on Campus

Some people may think that having a job and being a college student are difficult things to juggle, but, really, it’s not that hard. Barton, like many other schools, offers students work study jobs on campus. Positions can be found around campus in various departments such as the library, computer labs, academic departments, admissions, financial aid, and more. The good thing about a work study job is that it works around your schedule, meaning that you will never have to work when you are scheduled to be in class – no worrying about getting off work with only five minutes left before your class starts.

I work on campus as a student ambassador. I love my job and have a lot of fun doing it. I’m one of the many ambassadors that give student-led tours to prospective students throughout the school year. We work closely with the admissions department to make sure that each prospective student and his or her family have a good time while visiting Barton.

The job isn’t demanding nor is it boring. I have previously had boring jobs, and let’s just say that being an abassador is a lot better! I like working with the other ambassadors, and there is never a dull moment when all of us are together. Tomorrow is another freshman open house, and I personally like working during the open houses. It’s fun to be able to mingle and meet new prospective students and their families.

One piece of advice that I would suggest is to pick a job that you will actually enjoy and that doesn’t cause too much stress. We all have stress from classes, and we don’t need more coming in from somewhere else.

The financial aid department has a job opening board, and it shows jobs available on and off campus. Another way to find out about job openings is through the career services office, which frequently sends out emails about local businesses that are looking for people to hire.