«

»

Feb 15

Working on Campus: The Pros and Cons

Hey, y’all!

So, today I am going to talk about the advantages and disadvantages of working on campus.

The advantages:

• You do not have to drive to work.
  • Your boss is always willing to work around your class schedule.
  • Your boss is understanding if you’re supposed to work and you have a HUGE test the next day.
  • The people you work with actually care about you and understand what it’s like to be a student.
  • You’re actually doing stuff on campus so you’re more involved and more likely to know what events are going on when!

As you can see, there are several advantages to working on campus; but to every story there is another side, so lets take a look at some disadvantages:

• There are two different kinds of work study, federal and regular; and regular work study does not have as many jobs available.
  • Sometimes working around your class schedule just doesn’t work out.
  • You may not get as many hours as you would with an off-campus job.
  • You only get paid once a month whereas most other places pay bi-weekly.

Like I said there are two sides to every story. Working on campus is a great opportunity, and I would advise each student to at least apply for a job on campus to see how it will work out! I realize that, even though having an on-campus job does have its negatives for me, I also realize that hardly any other job would allow me to have the time off I need for Delta Zeta and for me to maintain my grades the way I wish to.

My parents made a deal with me: while I am in college as long as I keep my grades up, they will help me out financially if my work study job isn’t working out! I think I have a pretty fair deal. Right now my grades are a lot more important to me than having a job because, if I don’t get good grades now, then I may not be able to go to graduate school. And, that is one of my major goals!

Well, on to more homework and studying!

Always,

Candice :)