«

»

Feb 15

My Favorite Class

So, this semester I have a mixture of classes. I am used to having classes centered around Criminal Justice and Criminology, but this semester I only have one class that is centered around it. So, it is a little different for me this semester. I will have to say that my favorite class this semester is United States History to 1877. This is really weird for me because in high school I absolutely hated history, hated everything to do with history, and just thought it was plain boring. I guess people change, huh?

This class is my only Tuesday and Thursday class from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., and I can actually say I don’t mind waking up and going to Dr. Broadwater’s class. I had my reservations before I started it, but I absolutely love Dr. Broadwater’s teaching method and how he gets his points across. Before class everyday, he writes down key terms that he will talk about (and in order, too – a major plus) throughout his lecture.

See, the thing is, though, it’s not really a lecture; it’s more like telling a story to us in class. He makes history actually interesting, which totally surprised me! So far we have learned about the settling of the different colonies and the hardships and triumphs of each colony, and it’s interesting to me now.

I do take a lot of notes for his class, but maybe that is just me. I usually leave with about 5 to 6 pages of notes every day, but these notes will help a lot on the test from what I have heard. We have our first test coming up next Thursday, February 22nd; and – I can’t lie – I am a little nervous about it. I have never taken one of his tests before, but I’m sure with all my notes and the reading that I have done I will be perfectly fine! (I’ll let you know how I end up doing. Promise – even if it is bad).

Not only does Dr. Broadwater lecture, he also shows movies and gives out info sheets to help you see the key points of the movie; and these questions can also be on the test. So, the test questions are taken from several different places. I feel like his test is going to be very straight to the point without any trick questions.

Since today in history we talked a lot about Benjamin Franklin, I wish to leave you with one of his quotes.

“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”

Always,

Candice :)