«

»

Feb 24

Get Involved!

College is not always just about going to class and spending countless hours studying.  You do get to have fun; trust me. I try to have fun every chance that I get. There are different ways to do that, including going out to the movies, shopping, sporting events, dinner, and more! But, one of the ways that I get to spend time with my friends while being very productive is by being involved in various clubs and organizations.

I like to be busy and involved in a variety of things. Since coming to Barton, I have joined the following groups:

• Student Bulldog Club
  • Alpha Phi Omega (co-ed service fraternity)
  • Mass Communications Club

All three clubs are different; and, without personally knowing me, you can kind of figure out what I like to do or what I’m interested in.

The Bulldog Club is a club for all Barton fans to show their support for the different athletic teams and plan various events for the teams.

Alpha Phi Omega (APO) is a co-ed service fraternity, and we basically do a lot of community service in the local area. It’s a lot of fun to be with a group of people who enjoy giving back to the community while having tons of fun in the process. We also get to travel and participate in different conventions and conferences around the USA.

Last, but not least, the Mass Communications club! This one is very special to me because I along with some friends are in the process of getting this club finalized and approved. As you all may or may not know, I’m a mass communications major with a concentration in journalism and public relations. This club is open to all majors but is very special to all the mass communications majors. It is an academic club that helps all members learn more about the mass communications major and the communications industry.

For all of you prospective students, I highly suggest joining at least one club or organization while in college. Not only do you get a chance to meet people who share a similar interest with you, but you get the chance to develop various skills and talents, such as leadership, organization, time management, public speaking, creativity, and many more!

Another tip that I would suggest is to not get involved in too much. You don’t want to overwhelm yourself with too much because your academics should always¬† come first!!!

Lastly, don’t wait until you get in college to get involved. Start now while in high school. That’s something that can help boost your resume and college applications. Do it now & have fun! :)