«

»

Feb 24

Clubs & Organizations

I just took my first history test, and I think it went really well! But, sometimes when you think you did really well on a test, you actually bombed it; so I’m trying not to be too cocky about it and just waiting to see what my grade is!

Okay, so, today I’m going to talk about Clubs and Organizations on campus! There are over 50 clubs and organizations on campus, so there’s something for everybody!

We have six Greek organizations including three sororities and three fraternities. The sororities are Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, and Sigma Sigma Sigma. The fraternities are Sigma Phi Epsilon, Pi Kappa Phi, and Alpha Sigma Phi. There are also religious clubs, psychology club, science club, deaf club, and so many more to chose from!

So, you get to campus and, after looking at several different options, you realize you don’t want to join any of them. NO BIG DEAL! Guess what!? You can make your own. All it takes is you and four of your friends, and you can make your own club! Not that hard, right? Maybe you want to make a swimming club that goes to the pool every Wednesday night – you can! All you need to do is to fill out a form; then it will go through the approval process!

I really encourage you to join some type of club or organization when you get to college. It has been proven that people who are more involved on campus get better grades, are more socially involved, and have a higher sense of commitment to their education and their well being! ┬áBut, don’t overload yourself; then your grades will drop, and that will stress you out!

Being in a club or organization actually helps with time management skills. A lot of people say, “Well, I don’t have time for that.” In all actuality, you do! On Tuesdays and Thursdays here, there are no classes between 10:45 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. This is when a lot of clubs meet for the week. It fits pretty well in your schedule, to be honest!

So, don’t be scared! Get involved!

Getting involved is also a great way to bring out your organizational skills and leadership skills. If you’re creative, it’ll bring that side out, too! It is a fantastic way to network and to get to know people on campus other than going to class and studying together. Being a leader on campus is a great opportunity, and you should take a shot at it! Being creative really helps when it comes to designing posters, flyers, emails, and t-shirts for your organization; so don’t be scared to branch out of your little box!

It is okay to step outside your comfort zone. Once you step out of it, you’re no longer out of it; you’ve just expanded it!

Always,

Candice :)