«

»

Jan 27

Greek Life: Formal Recruitment!

Hey, y’all!!!

Last night I had to deactivate my Facebook for TEN days! I know, I know. You say its not a big deal; but it is when you are used to having Facebook on your phone and at your fingertips all day, and now its gone, completely gone!

Why you ask? Well, last night was the beginning of Formal Recruitment for sororities on campus. Formal Recruitment will last for ten days. About six hours from now all three sororities, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, and Sigma Sigma Sigma will go to Hardy Alumni Hall for Formal Convocation. This is where all females on campus can go if they have an interest in Greek Life. Tonight there will be a short, but formal, introduction of all three sororities All of the females interested have the opportunity to meet sisters from each chapter on campus. This event will last thirty to forty-five minutes.

Monday night is a different story. Monday night is Skit Night. Each female that chooses to come back and continue going through Formal Recruitment will attend three one-hour parties that night. Each sorority will host a party for one hour, and the girls will rotate to each sorority. Like I said, Monday is Skit Night. Each sorority puts on a skit that can tell about their history, philanthropy, and facts about them in general. Skit Night is a lot of fun to be in and to watch.

Wednesday night is Philanthropy Night. This night is a little bit different! The females that have continued with Formal Recruitment will be split up into three groups, and each group will visit each sorority’s floor in the residence halls. They will have one hour on each floor, and there will be a constant rotation of girls from one floor to the next. So, instead of each sorority hosting only one party, they will host three separate parties that night. This allows for more one-on-one time and keeps each sorority floor from being completely packed with girls!

Friday night is a more serious night; it is called Preference Night, or Pref Night. Each sorority does something different, but it is the most serious night since afterward you write out your Pref Card (I’ll get to that in a few minutes). Some sororities write letters, do a small ceremony, watch a slideshow, and several other things; and it can change by year. After the girls have attended the parties they were to attend, each girl fills out a Pref Card, which states which sorority she would most like to be in. There are a lot more technicalities to it, but I’m just going to keep it simple!

Saturday is the fun day! It’s Bid Day! The girls that just went through Formal Recruitment get up and have to be in the Student Center at 9 am! You walk into a room by yourself, and there is a representative from each sorority. The sorority that has a bid for you will ask you if you would like to accept! The girl accepts (hopefully), and she is then given directions on where she needs to be and at what time! From that point on, all Bid Days are different. I would only be able to tell you about Delta Zeta’s; but that is usually a surprise, so I’m going to keep it that way!

So girls, if you don’t think a sorority is for you, don’t worry. I didn’t think so either; but I can promise you this: joining Delta Zeta has been one of the best decisions in my life, and I wouldn’t change it for the world!

Always,

Candice :)