«

»

Dec 02

Time Management

Hi, everyone! As the semester starts to wind down and every college student’s stress level starts to wind up, I thought it would be helpful to talk about time management skills that help here at college. Below are a set of skills that I learned in my First-Year Seminar. (FYS is a great class that helps you adjust to college life and start making connections with your peers.) Start working on these skills now so you can have them down to a tee when you get here!

1. “Spend Time Organizing and Planning: Using your time to think and plan is actually time well spent. If you fail to take time for planning, you are, in effect, planning to fail. So take 15 minutes out of each day to plan and organize your day!”

2. “Set Goals: Goals give you direction. Set goals that are specific, measurable, realistic, and achievable.”

3. “Prioritize: Prioritize time to concentrate your work on items that will give the greatest reward. Prioritize by color, number, or letter; and flag items that have a deadline coming up!”

4. “Use a To-Do List: Make a daily To-Do list! This can be made the night before or first thing when waking up that day. Don’t be afraid to try something new – maybe a calendar, planner, or a running To-Do list that is constantly updated. Find the tool that works for you!”

5. “Be Flexible: It is okay to be interrupted and distracted on occasion. A break is needed sometimes! Once you are interrupted or distracted and need to get back on track, ask yourself ‘What is the most important thing I can be doing with my time right now?’”

6. “Consider Your Biological Prime Time: This is the time of the day when you’re at your best! For me, I’m a night owl, no doubt about it! When you work the best is the best time to work. :-) Plan your schedule around your biological prime time in order to be the most productive!”

7. “Do the Right Thing Right: ‘Doing the right thing is more important than doing things right.’ Doing the right thing is effectiveness; doing things right is efficiency. Focus on the effectiveness; then concentrate on efficiency.”

8. “Eliminate the Urgent: Work on eliminating that urgent thing you must do so you can spend more time on your important priorities. Attaching a deadline to items on your To-Do list can help to keep important items from becoming urgent emergencies.”

9. “Practice the Art of Intelligent Neglect: Eliminate items on your To-Do list that do not have long term consequences for you. Work on items you can do alone and have positive long term consequences for you.”

10. “Avoid Being a Perfectionist: Some things need to be closer to perfect than others, but perfectionism, paying unnecessary attention to detail, can be a form of procrastination.”

11. “Conquer Procrastination: Use the ‘Swiss Cheese’ method. When avoiding a task break it into smaller, manageable tasks or set a timer for each task for just 15 minutes.”

12. “Reward Yourself! Even for small successes, celebrate achievement of goals. Rewarding yourself helps you keep a positive balance between work and play.”

I leave you with a quote my daddy always says to me; just keep this in mind when you are working on your projects for school:

“If you don’t do it right the first time, when are you going to find time to do it right the second?”

Always,

Candice :-)