«

»

Dec 13

My Major, My Future

Hey, guys!

So, today I was thinking about what I would do without the amazing peers I have in my major and without the small classes here at Barton.  I am a double major in Criminal Justice and Criminology and Political Science. Being a Criminal Justice and Criminology major is amazing, the best decision I have ever made! My peers in my classes are like my family; they are my close friends and people I know I can count on.  Since declaring my major here at Barton, I have had the same classes with the same people; and I have loved every second of it.  We have become such a tight-knit group.

Dr. Groskin, our professor and advisor, knows us just as well as our peers; if not better. Dr. Groskin is a retired federal agent whose specialty is in terrorism. He has several well-known connections and many stories, which he shares with us. Not only that, he truly cares about his students.

Take this for example: I found out about an advising issue that happened to me my freshman year. I was extremely upset about it, so I called him and left him a voicemail. And, within 10 minutes, he had returned my call. It was dinner time, probably around 6 p.m.; but he was still on campus and told me to come to his office. He immediately helped me deal with the issue, calmed my fears about my schedule being extremely messed up, and told me what I needed to do in order to get this fixed.  I took care of the appropriate paperwork; and the following morning in class, Dr. Groskin signed my paper, added a few notes, and then helped me from there. Having a close-knit family like the one in the Criminal Justice and Criminology program helps me get through college and make life long friendships.

Here at Barton I have picked the perfect majors for me, and I hope you do the same. No matter where you go, choose a major that you absolutely love. I love Criminal Justice and Criminology and Political Science, I enjoy going to my major classes, and I enjoy learning about each subject.  If you have a passion for what you do, work won’t seem like work. It’ll be something you love and enjoy!

“Celebrate what you’ve accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.” – Mia Hamm

Always,

Candice :)