«

»

Dec 08

Lighting of the Luminaries

The annual Lighting of the Luminaries ushers in the Christmas season at Barton.

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas, and Barton is really getting into the spirit.  This past week was our famous Lighting of the Luminaries ceremony.  This ceremony is a well-respected tradition of Barton College; and although I missed the program and performances, I still feel like I got the full effect.

All year long I’ve been hearing how excited everyone was for this ceremony.  I’ve been told it is the most beautiful event on campus and a favorite for many.  I got to the Christmas dinner held beforehand, but unfortunately I had some homework to finish up and couldn’t attend the whole thing.  I got there pretty near the end and got to see the luminaries and Christmas tree all lit up in center campus.  It literally looked just like Christmas, and I absolutely loved it!

There were baskets full of candles at the front of center campus, so my roommate and I each lit a candle and walked around the sidewalk through the trail of luminaries.  I think the best part for me was the fact that all of the luminaries were in honor or in memory of someone close to a student, staff, or faculty member.  It reminded me of the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life: participants in the Relay buy luminaries for loved ones diagnosed with cancer.  My family and I have been heavily involved in the Relay For Life my entire life, and a few years ago my father got a job working for ACS.  That only made Barton’s Lighting of the Luminaries ceremony more personal and meaningful to me.  I regret that I wasn’t able to go to the whole thing, but what I did experience was enough for me; and, of course, there’s always next year!