«

»

Dec 06

Light Up the Night Sky!

I love when it gets cold! I know most people don’t, but there is nothing that I love to wear more than a pair of jeans, a sweater, a scarf, and a pea coat. Always classy! This is my favorite time of year by far – Thanksgiving, Christmas, and bringing in the New Year with family and friends.  My absolute most favorite thing about Christmas, though, is all of the decorations people put up throughout the community. I could ride around for hours and just look at Christmas lights!

Here at Barton, we do it our own way, though. We have a ceremony known as the “Lighting of the Luminaries.” It is one of my favorite traditions here on Barton’s campus and, by far, the most beautiful one. Check out the video from last year’s event:

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAYefK8myc

During the day while going to classes or going to the cafe, you will see CAB (Campus Activities Board) members and volunteers setting up white bags with sand in the bottom to keep a white tea-light candle in place.  As it grows darker, you will see more CAB members and volunteers going around and lighting each candle. These luminaries literally outline the middle of center campus, the walkways, and the edge of the sidewalks.  It is one of the most gorgeous sights you will see when here on Barton’s campus.

The Lighting of the Luminaries also includes lighting our Christmas tree on center campus! Before we light the tree, Hollie Woodruff, our chaplain, speaks and prays. The president of the college, Dr. Kneten, speaks, as well as our SGA president, Mallory Magelli. This year, Mallory had all of us count down as she flipped the switch to light up the tree. After our beautiful tree was lit, the Sign Choir and Gospel Choir performed.

The Sign Choir did an amazing job of signing the song “Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.” They are a campus group that puts on performances throughout the year. The cool thing about the Sign Choir is that you do not have to know sign language or be a Deaf Education major in order to join. They are more than happy to help you learn the signs for the performances, and they accept all majors!

The Gospel Choir was amazing! I found out that some of my classmates could sing really well! They sang several different Christmas songs, and they sounded beautiful. I wish I had a voice like that. Now, for the Gospel Choir, you do have to be able to sing in order to join; so that means I would never have a chance in making the Gospel Choir! I am probably one of the worst singers you will ever hear. Sad to say, but it’s true!

Well, I have to go to work, then head off to class! Have a great week, and I’ll be talking to you soon :)

Always,

Candice :)