«

»

Dec 14

A Little About Me: Music in My Head

Music is one of the mediums through which humanity communicates. In fact, music can be considered the universal language because one does not have to understand the language of a song to understand the emotion carried within it. Some pieces convey a story, a person, or a life without ever using one word. Me? I’m very much an audiophile. Music for me is a multi-faceted experience. Every time I listen to a piece of music, a new part of the experience is revealed. There are many things that I can live without, but I could never live without the complexity and the raw emotion that is music.

My musical tastes cover a long list of categories from New Age ambient to symphonic rock. I’m pretty non-discriminating when it comes to the music I listen to, in the sense that I am not limited to only a few genres. I like a little bit of classical, a little bit of rap, a little bit of rock; and I’ve even been known to listen to a little bit of jazz and bluegrass (the bluegrass coming from growing up near the Appalachian Mountains in Kentucky).

One of my very favorite genres, though, is symphonic rock, which is the incorporation of classical melodies and instruments (violin, cello, piano, etc.) into the form of classic or alternative rock music. It’s a perfect synthesis of two of my favorite styles.  It’s also really cool to see some of these artists perform live, especially when they perform with a full symphony orchestra. Some of my favorite symphonic rock bands are Nightwish, Within Temptation, and Apocalyptica (who are known for rocking out on the cello).

Growing up, I listened to a lot of country and Johnny Cash. I didn’t really get into any other styles until the summer before I started high school, when I got my first Linkin Park CD. They are still a big favorite of mine today. Some of my other favorite artists and bands are Hot Chelle Rae, Eminem, Framing Hanley, Evanescence, Bon Jovi, The Eagles, My Chemical Romance, Anna Nalick, Nox Arcana, and Skillet. I’ve actually been to a few Skillet concerts, and I absolutely loved it!

Usually, I listen to my music on my iPod, but my favorite way to listen to music is in the car or anywhere private where I can rock out and sing at the top of my lungs. I love singing, and I will walk around the halls of my dorm singing to myself (quietly, of course); but most people think it’s really weird.

Music has been a big part of my life all of my life. I’ve been involved in school choir since the day I stepped into grade school. When we moved from Kentucky to North Carolina, I became involved in the local children’s threatre, Stage Struck, in Goldsboro. One of my first plays was musical theatre, and I’ve been deep in musical performance ever since. In middle school, I was very active in the school choir, and we went to many competitions where I performed as a part of the choir and as a soloist. All four years of high school, the same was true. I performed as a part of the North Carolina State Choir and tried numerous times to get into the Honors choir. The last time I missed by a point.

I haven’t had much in the way of formal one-on-one lessons, though I’ve always wanted them. I did have, in my senior year of high school, formal lessons with a man who turned out to be my fifth-grade chorus teacher. Working with him was loads of fun, and he was constantly surprised at my musical theory skill. One of the benefits of my high school choir experience was that my choir director believed in an intensive study of musical theory as a part of both the standard and honors courses (I moved quickly from standard to honors courses my freshman year).

My current musical ambition is to perform in Barton’s spring musical, The Mystery of Edwin Drood. From what the director has hinted, I have a good chance of getting a part. I’m also planning to take vocal lessons here at Barton during the spring semester. Though my future career is set in the medical field, I plan to always be involved, at least in an amateur sense, in music and theatre.