«

»

Nov 22

Why Are There No Songs For Turkey Day?

“When are you going home,” has been the most important question for the past couple days. Today has been the last day of class and, in just a couple of hours, I’ll be headed home for Thanksgiving break.

Thanksgiving is always such an overlooked holiday in the ranking of holidays. People always seem to jump straight from Halloween to Christmas. It’s only the 22nd, and Christmas baubles have been hanging on department stores since the first of the month. Move over Turkey; here comes Santa Claus. Yet, no one really appreciates the nature of the day.

Thanksgiving is probably the holiday that requires the least out of everyone who celebrates it, unless you happen to be the cook of the household. You don’t need a special outfit; you only have to be yourself. The only present you have to give is the pleaure of your company. You don’t have to go searching for love with your family gathered around you, and there is no fear of funky colored eggs going bad in the fridge. All you have to bring to the table, besides the turkey and the cranberry sauce, is thanks.

This year, I have a lot to be thankful for. There’s a new baby in the house, and a sweeter nephew no one has ever had. My mom started a new job, and I’ve had a successful first semester of college. I’ve made new friends and had great times. So often do we get caught up in the gloom and doom that we don’t appreciate the truly good things in life, like eating a hot meal or opening your eyes to a new day. So, what are you thankful for?

Everyone has a favorite part of Thanksgiving. My favorite part is Mom’s stuffing. I love stuffing. I go nuts for it. It is practically the perfect food. It’s all soft and golden and bursting with yummy goodness. You’re probably rolling your eyes or rolling in your chair, but now my mouth is watering.

It’s almost time for me to go. I’m so excited to be going home.

Peace Gang!

Lillie