«

»

Nov 18

Fear? Yeah. Regrets? Nope!

Stress.  Anxiety.  Worry.  I’m sure these are only a few of the emotions rolling around inside you right now.  Applying for college is one of the most stressful times for a young adult.  It is probably also the most confusing.  You are nervous about going off to college, but also excited that you’re almost out of high school!

A very good friend of mine once told me that there are only two times in his life that he can remember actually being scared for a prolonged period of time: entering college and graduating from college.  So far, I’ve only experienced the first, but I think he’s on to something.  I was extremely scared.

I’m one of those people that doesn’t do well when I have to make a big decision; and since I still don’t know what I want to do when I get older, it was hard to pick a school based on what fields they specialize in.  Thinking back, I was really only interested in a few schools, and I had no idea how to decide which one to pick.  My mom suggested we go take tours of all of the schools I was considering (which I would recommend to anyone about to apply to college) to help narrow down my choices.  And that’s exactly what it did.  The tours helped me eliminate a few options and bumped my list down to about three schools.  The next week I started my applications.

After the tours, I pretty much already had my mind made up on coming to Barton, but I applied to two others schools just to keep my options open in case I changed my mind, which happens a lot!

The tour at Barton was definitely my favorite.  Everyone was so helpful and happy to see me and my parents.  I don’t think we ever passed by someone who worked here who didn’t say “Hello!” to us.  They were just so nice, and we could really tell they cared about every single one of their students.

I still wasn’t completely sure what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted to be able to have a relationship with my professors.  I wanted them to be able to recognize me in passing and call me by name.  I knew I wanted a school where the president of the college opens up his house several times a year for students and faculty to just come and visit.

The family-like atmosphere that you can only get at a small school like Barton was a must for me, and since I’ve been here, I have never regretted my decision.